Timings can be flexible to suit the volunteer’s availability
As a Somerset Libraries volunteer, there are a variety of different ways that you can get involved and support your local library , or the local community. You could be helping people to access library services who may not have been able to access libraries otherwise, our volunteers become valuable members of the library team. Our volunteers bring a variety of experience, knowledge and skills and contribute to making libraries a vibrant and exciting place to visit - supporting libraries to deliver a range of opportunities and activities to our customers that also benefit the wider community.
Home library service volunteers work with the local libraries to choose, deliver and collect books, audio books and DVDs to people who are housebound or those that cannot access the library due to impaired mobility, long term illness, disability, transport difficulties or caring commitments. This will also help to combat loneliness and signpost to extra help if required.
This is a great opportunity to help develop a range of skills and you could be:
- Calling customers to discuss books preferences / arranging suitable times to deliver
- Visit the library, select items for customers and add them to their library account.
- Deliver the items to the customer’s home.
- Discuss reading and listening preferences with customers and chat with them to help combat loneliness.
- Where appropriate support customers to access a range of information and services they might require by signposting and providing information to relevant agencies / organisations eg; Somerset Direct, Somerset Choices or Community council for Somerset.
- Forward concerns about Home Library Service customers to the Home Library Service Coordinator
I help choose library books for my clients and go to see them once every three weeks or so. They really appreciate me going to see them and enjoy having some company. It is not just about delivering the books. It is nice to make friends and get to know people too