½ day per week. Dates will be agreed in advance and flexibility to plan around holidays etc.
Any (Mon - Sat) to be agreed
14 and over
The Summer Reading Challenge is a national event produced by the Reading Agency and held across libraries in the UK during the school summer holidays. Children sign up at their local library, then read six library books of their choice to complete the challenge. There are exclusive rewards to collect along the way, as well as a host of fun activities and events, and it’s FREE to take part! Volunteers help us with the challenge by signing up children when they come into the library, giving out rewards for reading books, talking to children about the books they have read, helping them choose their next book and promoting the challenge within the library and community.
Volunteering with the Summer Reading Challenge is open for anyone aged 14 or over. It is an excellent way to become involved with supporting your local community and makes a valuable contribution in encouraging young people’s engagement with books and reading. It also provides valuable experience, helping to develop confidence and social skills in addition to broadening your social network.
The Summer Reading Challenge is created by The Reading Agency and has a different theme each year. you could be involved with:
• Register children for the Summer Reading Challenge on the Summer Reading Challenge Form.
• Explain to them how the Challenge works and show children the packs
• Record children’s progress on the online form.
• Talk to children about the books they have read, and help them to choose new books to read
• Give out progress ‘folders’, cards, certificates and medals.
• Encourage more children who come into the library to do the Summer Reading Challenge
• Encourage those who have started to keep going and to finish.
• Help create fun and engaging promotional displays
• Help keep the children’s section in the library tidy
• Help at children’s events. E.g. craft or story events.
• Help come up with new craft ideas or events for children to take part in
The closing date for applying is the 30th June. A member of staff will get in touch with you to arrange a time for an informal discussion. These will take place between the 14th and 3rd July.
Successful applicants will be informed as soon as possible after their informal discussion.
I've really enjoyed volunteering because I have met lots of new people and have learned lots of new skills
My volunteering experience is fantastic with lovely staff that has made me feel welcome
Rewarding, when helping others